Monday, September 15, 2008

When it rains, it pours

When I left my apartment this morning at noon, it was too hot for closed-toed shoes. When I began my walk home from school at 8:30 pm this evening, my hot feet were swimming...

When it rains in Rome:
1. Cobblestone streets turn into lakes.
2. At night (as it was on my walk home), you can't see these lake-size puddles.
3. Scooters and cars have a field day! Streets are only wide enough for one car and one person. So what happens when a car is heading your way and you're next to one of those lake-like puddles? ... You're screwed. And soaked. How many times did this happen? Three. Each time I could feel the driver's malicious glee.
4. What do you do when you hear claps of thunder while sitting in Italian-103 and realize that your laundry is hanging to dry out the window back at home?!? Call your roommate! Thank goodness for Leslie who jumped on it and saved two weeks worth of laundry.

But, the rain did provide some entertainment on my miserably long walk home. I saw multiple little old men create quite the handy head cover. Imagine a cloth napkin with each corner tied in a little knot. So it curves like a bowl. Turn up-side-down, place on bald head, and voilĂ !! Wet head no more. And I wasn't the only one who was unprepared for the rain. Italian women think they can rock heels on cobblestone. HA! Not in the rain, ladies. It was fun to watch.

Mom, please send me that Mickey Mouse poncho we got at Disney World. I'll fit right in.

Dry for now,
Jacqui

No comments: